Friday, May 11, 2007

Resistance is Futile

I've tried. God knows I've tried. Everyone who knows me well knows I've tried. But sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you fail.

I've tried to resist the pressure to "blog" for years. I'm not one to follow the crowd, and I've always preferred either the 'real time' communication that IM and chat offers for when I want to talk to someone, and web-based message boards were fine for expressing thoughts on other topics to larger audiences, especially when I didn't have time for a long discussion or when I want to express something to people who may not be there when I am.

But it seems that everyone is using this blog-thing to express their thoughts and opinions these days, and regardless of whether or not those thoughts and opinions have any value outside the minds of those expressing them, people read them. People quote them. People comment on them. Some people get rich and famous from them. Some people even become "pundits" from blogging, considered as "experts" just because they have something to say, and decide to say it publicly.

And dang it, if Paris Hilton can do it, well hell, I figure I can do it, too.

And you know what? That's maybe a "good thing". What is the point of even having a thought or an opinion if you can't share it? Minds, despite being the accidental result of the need for an organism to be able perceive and process information about its environment better than its competitors in order to better compete for survival in this world, really ARE a terrible thing to waste. What nature has essentially done is create a loophole that can be used by the organism to do all sorts of things not necessarily aimed at survival.

Maybe.

In any case, I've decided to give this blog thing a whirl for myself and see how it goes. I am not really thinking about the survival value of it to me or my species when I use it...at least not to a large degree. It may help me retain some semblance of sanity through letting me externalize some of the things going on inside my mind, and thereby in some way affect my chances of survival in a positive way.

Of course, there's also the possibility that some of the things that will be expressed here will be somehow toxic to others and detrimental to THEIR survival, or, it could be that some of the convolutions in what's expressed here will be too tangled for some, causing what could later turn into severe, if not fatal, confusion - perhaps, in a sense, a form of 'contagious confusion' being transmitted from me to those susceptible to it?

I don't know.

But I'm going to give this a shot, and see where it leads. I can't fight it any more, and if I want to continue to sanely exist and find out if any of what I think has any meaning beyond the limited context of my mental universe, I guess I've got to open some sort of window to it and give folks a peek.

If ANY of the above makes any sense to you, or conversely, already causes you to scratch your head and think, "WTF?", then watch out!

This is only the beginning.

It gets worse. Or better. Let's see how it goes, shall we?

Resistance really is futile.

No comments: