Friday, May 11, 2007

Poetry: "An Oath" - another poem by "me"

The below poem "celebrates" the betrayal of me by some friends and business partners some years ago. Without going into details, I wound up losing my home, my livelihood, ten years of my life, and almost any possibility of getting a life going again in any legitimate context in the span of about 24 hours.

As a result of related circumstances, my youngest daughter suffered from selective mutism for about 5 years, and we were "Homeless in Helsinki" for a winter, one during which we lived on the hosptitality of friends or in extremely "humble" hostels.

I can remember walking the windswept streets of Helsinki at night in the subzero temperatures of the Finnish winter, searching for empty beer bottles to return the next morning for money to buy baby food and diapers.

It was a dreary time, one which changed the life of my family forever and crushed the fire out of the relationship between my then new wife and I.

The poem below was written during an especially dark period for us, just a few years after the events which inspired it. The anger expressed below is real, and is still there. Though I do my best to keep it buried, I'm told it still comes through...


***************

An Oath

I am He who Nemesis wed,
and He for whom Thoth has spoken.
The Sons of Horus - my loyal knights,
until my Enemies all lay broken.

For Them there can be no escape,
nor hint of Mercy shall They see.
Not ‘til I deliver Them unto Their Fate
Shall my Fury leave and set me free.

They rule their Empire at my expense,
while my family suffers from Their pretense.
But Wreckoning Time shall come for Them,
Their lives and souls - mine to condemn.

A simple crime - a trust betrayed,
of debts reversed, yet not repaid.
Murdered, yet still drawing breath,
My gift of fire will be Their death.

For I am He who Nemesis wed,
and He for whom Thoth has spoken.
The Sons of Horus - my loyal knights,
until my Enemies all lay broken.

***************

No comments: